Monday, April 28, 2008

Bugs-a-plenty

May 7, 2008 - Here it is!
While I was figuring out how to put together my design for a small bugs postcard exchange, black ants began showing up in different rooms of the house. It was rather unpleasant to see something scuttling about and to have to move quickly to squash it. They seem most enamoured with honey and maple syrup, "real" sugars. So they must be "sweet ants." My friends in England will be glad to know that I have completed their cards this Monday evening and readied them for mailing. I will plan to display a picture here after they receive their postcards.

During one bicycle ride my mind began calling up "ant" words, which I've listed below. I find wordplay to be fun and mentally stimulating. If I had used a dictionary there would be many, many more listings.

antsy, antlers, anteater, antenna, anterior, antipasto, antelope, antiques, antiquity, ante bellum, antioxidant
banter
canter, canteen, canticle, cantaloupe, cantankerous
deviant, defiant, discordant, distant
exuberant, expectant, expectorant, elegant, elephant, eggplant
flagrant, fragrant
grant, gallivant, gallant
irritant
mantle, manta ray
observant
pant, plant, protestant
rant, relevant, redundant, recalcitrant, reactant, reliant
significant, servant, suppliant, supplant, surfactant, subordinant
triumphant, transplant
vagrant, variant, verdant

No comments: