Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Leaf Popping

Patiently wait the wintering trees,
then buds burst open, leaves unfurl:
joyful extensions of delicate green,
hope-filled reminders of spring's new life.
(c) 2008


Each year I intend to carefully note the exact day the leaves appear on the trees, but finally I have realized why that is so difficult:
1. Some trees' leaves open at night.
2. Some trees' leaves open before others.


Yesterday I picked some budding dark purple lilac branches to "force" indoors. Today I saw new aspen and birch leaves, also catkins, wearing that fresh, vivid green like no other color. A tinted mist or fine fizz like champagne bubbles has touched the tops of other trees in the woods. Interesting how both spring and fall present with a beauty that can take my breath away.

No comments: