Sunday, May 11, 2008

Group Art

Four other women and I participated in a Collage Challenge: we each mailed the others at least five objects which had to be incorporated into the design. Any other items could be added at will. When finished, we each sent a picture of our project to show the others. It took me a long time to figure out what to do, where to start. I developed a slightly resentful attitude about being made to use others' objects. One sign I posted over a pouty woman sitting on high heels states, "You can't make me wear pointy shoes and you can't make me do group art." Another states, "This is not art, this is just layered stuff." Additional word cues are "Keys: don't leaf home without them" and "How will you connect?" Two unique twists were folding paper and making an "ink blot" design with food coloring, and coloring sea salt to put into tiny glass bottles. Centered on brown candy wrappers are clear glass pieces, one with a shiny penny glued underneath: Penny Candy, get it? I discovered that sometimes art is hard work. But when it "clicked," it was fun.

No comments: