Saturday, May 10, 2008

Mothers' Day Project


The only photo store in town is closing its doors after almost 100 years of business. I felt sad while walking it's length yesterday, knowing that it would be for the last time. The owner gave me all the scrap photo matte I wanted, various sizes and shapes, colors and textures. Many were just a tad over postcard size.

At home, I arranged the matte board pieces by size, then went upstairs to my new sewing space and began creating a scene with thread painting (free-motion machine embroidery on netting and washaway foundation). This I adhered to gold matte board which I then covered with purple netting. I added black matte board, and covered a larger piece with purple and gold fabric. Today I finished the glueing, adhering a label and hanging aparatus to the back. After the glue sets it will be ready for gifting at breakfast out tomorrow morning. I almost wish I could keep this one-of-a-kind piece of paper/fabric/fiber art, but maybe I will make another similar piece. Or something different.

No comments: