Thursday, October 15, 2009

Hanging On/Letting Go

"Some of us think holding on makes us strong; but sometimes it is letting go." Herman Hesse.........................................................


All my life I have had to let go. Things have been lost or taken away. People have drifted in and out of my life. Relationships have broken. I've wanted something, someone to hang on to. Some sense of stability, continuity, security, connectedness. But maybe I hang on too tightly, try too hard, expect too much. Look in the wrong places. This year I'm experimenting with letting go, and hoping the lessons learned will strengthen me instead of destroying me. Maybe letting go requires the trust and hope that somewhere, sometime, something better will come along; as the saying goes 'When the Lord shuts a door, He opens a window.' Time will tell...

No comments: