Saturday, October 17, 2009

Nip & Tuck

Today I joined some members of the MAHC doing maintenance on part of the Iron Mountain Trail which used to be AT (which I hiked in 1980). It was about 34 degrees with mist, snow, sleet, and ice shards falling on us but we all stayed pretty dry. I helped nip and trim rhododendron branches which were encroaching on the trail, and a troublesome vine-type plant called green briar. It travels underground only to resurface elsewhere and can trip up an unsuspecting sojourner.

A confetti-like assortment of yellows and reds carpeted the ground under the few sugar maple trees. Beautiful! Two purple gentians bloomed and the ferns were still green. The woods are so lovely in autumn. I enjoyed the day and hope to participate in more group outings like biking and hiking, as well as future trail maintenance on other mountains. I'm very tired, but it's a good kind of tired. Now for a cuppa' hot chocolate- mmmmmmm!

No comments: