Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Sky Spectacular

When I was much, much younger, while we were visiting relatives, my cousins and I lay on our backs on the large open lawn in the dark, watching for the Northern Lights (Aurora Borealis). The phenomenon gracing that late summer sky impressed me enough to be fresh in my mind over forty years later.

Glimmering green bands radiated from a central point above and shifted round and round. It seemed as if we were under an inverted bowl of shimmering fluorescent stripes. I can not describe it adequately, but I am so glad I didn't miss that experience. I wonder if they remember...

Tonight we have opportunity to witness a light show, as multitudinous bits of debris from Halley's Comet interact with Earth's atmosphere. The Orionid display is supposed to be most intense between 1 a.m. (Wednesday morning actually) and 6 a.m. I'm not so sure I could stay up that late or even wake up during the heaviest fall-out band, but I am reminded of another night when there was activity in the Leonid Comet trail. This is what I wrote:

Leonid Interlude
Comet trails across the sky:
fluorescent streak-marks way up high.
First one, then two, and then- a score.
Another one... 1-2-3-4!
Try not to blink for fear I'll miss
a greater show of sparks than this.
Head tilted back, mouth open wide,
I'm drinking in this thrilling sight
and watch for shooting stars until
cold dawn comes creeping o'er the hill.
Black velvet curtain slowly fades
as morn' with bleaching light invades.
My cheeks are rosy, legs like lead,
so I retreat to warmth and bed.
11/19/2001

No comments: