Sunday, October 9, 2011

Box-ing

Okay, I admit it, I have a box fetish. Well, maybe not exactly a fetish, but- I hate to see a clean, sturdy box go to waste. When I'm in the grocery store, I would rather shop with a box on my arm than push around a rolling (screeching, sticking) cart. If an item doesn't fit in the box, I don't buy it. Often halfway through a quick trip to the store, I have to pick up an empty box (from a bottom shelf or stock clerk's pile) because I'm gathering more than I can carry. (I was so sure I wouldn't need a cart).

My significant other becomes nervous when I pick up a box at a store. "You can't take that box home!" I am warned. Is there concern that I might turn my living space into a warehouse???

A clean box can be re-used for many things. Long narrow boxes like shoe boxes make good dresser drawer organizers for socks, etc. Empty envelope boxes nicely hold greeting cards that I intend to send to family and friends someday. Sturdy boxes stacked on on their sides are a substitute for book shelves where there is a furniture shortage. Arranged similarly by the entry way, they may hold boots and sneakers neatly. On that top shelf of a closet, open boxes on their sides will keep stacked sweaters or folded slacks from falling down.

If one is creative, tray-type boxes covered with fabric or contact paper will serve as attractive desk-top organizers. I recommend stashing a box in the back seat to keep the inside of the car/mobile-office tidy. Putting groceries into a larger box in the trunk can prevent bottles from falling over/rolling around/spilling their contents.

Boxes can be pressed into frugal duty almost anywhere. I feel like I'm forgetting some other clever applications.

Have I convinced you yet of the value of the lowly box???

No comments: