Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Robin the Nest...


A funny business, this nesting proposition.  A robin built a nest on the window ledge in the garage.  Concerned that the bird might either get caught outside for the night or be trapped inside (and make a mess on the car), I thought it would be wise to remove the nest.  No problem. Several days later, I found two little blue eggs in the remaining dry grasses on the ledge in the garage.  I donned leather gloves, carefully lifted the tiny, but heavy, bright blue eggs and carried them to an active robin's nest in a rhododendron bush by my kitchen window.  I wanted to photograph the eggs in the nest, but didn't want to disturb the parents who had returned. 

One afternoon I observed a male robin sneaking closer and closer to the tree.  He would skitter a bit, stop, wait, look around, then continue his stealthy approach.  He hopped into the lower branches, then fluttered up to the nest.  By the time I checked the nest again, there were baby birds in it.  I'm wondering if the remaining blue egg is one of the transplants from the other nest.
Here are the baby birds in further development...  I did not know it would be the last viewing.

Here's the empty nest which caught me by surprise:
 

No comments: