Saturday, August 2, 2014

Small Wonders At Dusk

As I stood in the gentle breezes of nightfall,
a stark white light to the west
peeked down from behind a leafy bower:
the sickle moon, and it was upright-
not cupped like a cereal bowl as in times past.
Had the earth righted itself since last I noticed?
An axis is a curious thing.

Two fireflies hailed each other
within the sparsely fruited branches
of the ancient crab apple tree.

To the south, a large white cloud bank
steadily and swiftly rose
against the darkening canopy.
Among its layers
played opposing bursts of sheet lightening.

With so much to watch, 
I didn't know which direction to face.
I wanted to drink it all in at once.
So seldom I stand silent and still,
eyes and ears attuned
to the natural world around me.

Anticipating the storm,
no twinkling stars dared grace the skies
this night.

And then- the mosquitoes began to land.
08/01/14

No comments: