Sunday, May 10, 2015

Thank You Dr. Seuss

"Sometimes the well of creativity seems..." dry?  I decided to just start.  Just do something!  So I sprayed water on a large sheet of watercolor paper, dabbed on yellow watercolor paint, smeared it around... Then added more water and blue and green paints along the the top and bottom edge of the page and let the paint drip down.  After cutting it into postcard-sized pieces, I auditioned some circles punched out of magazine pages. Nothing was jumping out at me.  I let it sit a while.

A day (or three?) later, I decided to glue on the circles.  But something else was needed.  I augmented the watercolor background with watercolor pencils and wet-smudged, then outlined shapes (like stems) with coordinating roller-point pens, adding details (thorns, grass, leaves).  I also wrote about the process inside the stems and flower head shapes.

The blank spaces bothered me.  My old fall-back:  rubber stamps for fill-in.

After inking the PC edges for a finishing touch, I think I sort of like the results- some more than others.  These postcards will be used for some informal mail-art exchanges.  They are most certainly quirky, odd, different than anything I've done before.  Enjoy!


Flower Heads With Text

A 3-Legged Creature with Bush Tail?

Ukulele?  Dulcimer?
 

No comments: