Sunday, December 20, 2015

Another Group of Wall Quilts

I'll admit to a continuing fascination with Batik fabrics.  Their saturated colors and beautiful designs call to me.  The pieced quarter-circle pattern has so many possibilities for various sub-patterns that I could never tire of it.  In fact, I have the top of a larger wall quilt waiting to be finished.
 After trimming the previous quilt, the leftover strips refused to be disposed of and so- they became the focal point in a companion quilt:  Batik Explosion.  Variegated thread sewn in a zig-zag added some excitement.
While I lived near the Black River, its rails to trails pathway and highway shoulders became my favorite places to walk and ride my bike.  Through the seasons its beauty changed.  This picture was taken on a misty autumn morning.  For my first online quilting class, Landscape Quilts, I decided to duplicate the river view using hand-dyed fabrics, netting (over the water fabric), and scribble stitching on the island's evergreen trees.  Clumps of leaves were easy to assemble over wash-away stabilizer.


One Batik fabric appeared to have a maze pattern.  On second look, I noticed crosses scattered throughout and stitch-outlined them as I made this longer wall quilt.

No comments: