Sunday, December 20, 2015

More Wall Quilts

Years before I discovered the wonderful world of paper arts, I attempted to express myself creatively with fabric.  This quilt incorporates one of my little poems into the design:  
"Flowers reaching toward the sun, there's light enough for every one."  There is a strange, long-stemmed blossom winding it's way into space.  Earth, Mars and Venus make an appearance as well.

 As you might guess, I was in the mood for a little tropical vacation.  This, as most of the others, is my original design.  I found some gorgeous hand-painted fabric on the Internet, two pieces of which served as sky and ocean.  Colored pencils and colored quilt stitching added some depth.  There are seagulls flying in the distance.

 These roses were paper-pieced in a log-cabin technique.  Yellow embroidery floss fills the centers. Small pearly beads simulate dewdrops. 

Some psychological message is embedded in this Sunset to Sunrise design.  It came to me either while I was sleeping or late at night, prompting me to get up and make the quilt during the wee hours. I like the way numerous parallel lines of quilt stitching created texture.  (It does remind one of a furniture moving blanket.)

 One year I decided to commemorate the change of season by making this cheery little quilt on the first day of Spring.  Besides tulips and grape hyacinths, butterflies, baby chicks and ladybugs may be found, as well as the start of one unwelcome weed:  dandelion (left bottom corner).








No comments: