Thursday, December 17, 2015

Some Wall Quilts

The late 1990's (My, that sounds odd!) and the early 2000's were my quilting years, although I might return to sewing if my paper crafts diminish a bit.  Time will tell.

Here are some of the wall quilts/art quilts which I began making after so many bed quilts and baby quilts. Unfortunately the picture quality isn't that good... They don't enlarge clearly.
Folksy Heart
This quilt pattern was featured in a fabric catalog.  Rather than order the kit, I figured out the dimensions myself, altering the flower design.  I made one wall quilt for a quilting guild silent auction and a second to keep.  A quilting friend of mine bid on it and bought it.  I later donated the second one for a High School Class reunion auction to benefit programs that educate to prevent teen-age suicide.
Somber Circles
After putting this experiment in blue with brown together and entering it in an Adirondack quilt show, it was selected to be featured on the promotional postcards.  I was so pleased and surprised! The quilt stitching was the most fun part of construction.  The threads on the quilt back suggest ferris wheels.
Bridge Abutment
 The same quilting friend and I were returning from an out-of-town quilt show and noticed a free-
standing bridge abutment out in a field along the highway.  That prompted my making two of these friendship quilts, one for her, one for me.
"Friendship like a bridge supports us on the journey through life." 
Blue & Brown Bear Paws
 More brown and blue:  Bear Paws is an easy pattern to assemble and served well for a sample during my beginning quilting classes with Cornell Cooperative Extension.
Abstract Mini Quilt
This features wash-away stabilizer that you stitch over using netting,  Then the stabilizer dissolves in water.  I made up the odd flower pattern myself, using batik fabric.  The butterflies were thread appliques.

No comments: