Thursday, February 4, 2016

Background Paper

One of the YouTube presentations I viewed recently demonstrated decorating newspaper to make background papers.  The artist mentioned packing paper.  Since I had saved a long strip, I smoothed it out and gessoed most of the length of it.  Next, I used a wide flat brush to paint the outer edges with pink acrylic paint.  The center, I painted with yellow.  Last, I added brush strokes of turquoise blue.  I loved it as it was, but there was more to do.

I spritzed water over the paint, took a textured paper towel, and blotted off the excess water.  That left light areas where I intended to rubber stamp some images.

Something unexpected happened while I was brushing the paint onto the paper.  I started to sort of lean into it, going with the flow, enjoying the process.  A feeling of well-being settled over me.  It was almost like a relaxant.  Not to the point of falling asleep, no.  But that good feeling lasted several hours after my art session.  It reminded me that ART IS GOOD FOR YOU.
I tried rubbing my turquoise ink pad over a swirls stencil, but not much ink came through onto the paper.  Then I flipped the stencil over to clean the ink off with a baby wipe.  As the ink spread into the spaces of the stencil, I got the result I wanted after all.  So I changed my approach.  I put the stencil down on the background paper, pressed a scrunched-up wet wipe into the ink pad, and  used it to dab the ink.  
Next, I used pink ink over a flowers stencil.  I'm thinking that this technique is more controlled and maybe (?) less messy than spraying ink over a stencil.
I rubbed gold ink randomly over a circles stencil, finishing with black inked roller stamp and a script block stamp.

Finding afterwards that the long sheet of paper had folds, I cut along the fold lines to make smaller sections after I finished stamping.  



I might gesso the backs to add support to the thin brown paper, and then fold the six pieces to make mailing envelopes.  We'll see.

No comments: