Tuesday, February 7, 2017

I Had To Laugh!



Have you ever said "I would never..." and then later on, you feel foolish?  As I was cropping a picture of a large collage to illustrate an option for a "Fun With Paper Strips" group swap, I didn't pay attention to part of it until it suddenly stood out when I walked by the piece yesterday.  

Back story:  in 2007 an artsy friend invited me to join in with four other women (in different states) on a collaborative art project just for fun.  We were instructed to gather multiples of several objects and send them in to be distributed to each participant, who then had to incorporate them into her own collage design.  

Among the odd items I received were mylar from a helium balloon, stickers, a Tibetan astrology chart, keys, sheet music, some rock salt, a map, feathers, a small mirror, a silk leaf, some sequin waste, a painted rectangle, a tag.  
(It sounds like a scavenger hunt!)

While viewing this strange assortment of elements I was absolutely stumped.  I even resented having to use other people's items to make something, and regretted agreeing to participate.

Attitude?  Oooo-eeee!  
DOES NOT PLAY WELL WITH OTHERS!


Eventually I got over it, but not before I found an image of a pouting woman who I made to sit on some high heeled shoes.  I thought up the sayings, 
"You can't make me wear pointy shoes, 
and you can't make me do group art." 
and 
"This is not ART, this is just layered stuff."  


Keep in mind this was ten years ago, six years before I came across the MMSA site.  Now look where I am.  Isn't that funny? Sometimes our subconscious is trying to nudge us.

I still don't wear pointy shoes but I LOVE making group art, especially collage!  And I really enjoy being a part of an online mail art group.  Who knows where life will take us next??? 

No comments: