Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Chickens Galore!

While visiting in South Carolina, I had fun watching hens scurry around the yard, clucking and pecking at bugs.  I also was able to frequently check in on the one hen who sat on her nest of eggs from all three breeds of chickens. Of the fifteen or so eggs, ten hatched, nine chicks survived.
Speckled Hens
Rhode Island Red Hen



Buff Hen, the only good "Brooder" in the bunch

The mother hen has to show them how to peck at the feed and drink water


This one was under-developed and weak

But so cute, I hated to put him down... happily, he did survive


Very few of the pictures I took were well-focused. But this one was really bad!  I call it "Chickens on The Run" as they never seemed to hold still.  I like the impressionistic effect.  

No comments: