Sunday, June 19, 2011

New Beginnings







Spring will soon give way to summer. Leaves are green, flowers vibrant. I saw an orange Orchard Oriole today along my biking route beside the woods.

How is it that we become so intent on watching our feet that we can not look up and see the glorious possibilities around us? In the late afternoon I sat on a deck swing and listened- to the breeze in the trees, the birds singing, the creek trickling by. The wind caressed my face, the sun warmed my legs as I moved in and out of the shade.

I would wish for everyone a special, quiet place where your heart can smile. Sometimes such a place seems distant, sometimes non-existent. Two years ago while I was in transition in east Tennessee and sat rocking on a log cabin porch on the side of a steep mountain overlooking a "holler," these words came to mind: "He restoreth my soul."

Today I am reminded that there is One who beckons, "Come unto Me... and I will give you rest." What would we ever do without the One who cherishes our very souls?

No comments: