Thursday, March 19, 2015

Make-It-Yourself Laundry Detergent

I never thought I'd post a tutorial, but as I was making up a large batch of laundry detergent this afternoon, the thought occurred to me to take pictures.  It was fun!  Incidentally, I've discovered a tricky incentive to clean the kitchen:  use parts of it for staging photographs!

Okay, maaaaybe I have way too much time on my hands, but you've heard the saying:  "Time you enjoy wasting isn't wasted time."  (Not original to me, sorry.)  So, one thing lead to another, and here it is.

Although I have modified the ingredients and the instructions, I can't take credit for inventing the recipe.  Others similar to this may be found on the Tip Nut site.

I also can't vouch for the safety of the ingredients, but I will tell you that after years of using it, this detergent has never caused rashes or asthma.  I'm not a dermatologist or a chemist, but I do look for ways to keep additives, especially perfumes* and colorants, out of the house.  I am convinced that this is a thrifty alternative to commercially-produced detergents (with the benefit of knowing what goes into it) and maybe you will think so too.

(Scroll to bottom of post to read WARNING.)

INGREDIENTS:

Tap Water
2 Cups Powdered Washing Soda
2 Cups Powdered Laundry Booster
1 bar brown Fels Naptha Soap (found in laundry aisle)
(Essential Oils for Scent- Optional*)

MATERIALS:

Tray or Platter
Grater
Large, Long Stainless Steel Spoon
Large Stainless Steel Kettle
5-Gallon Pail or Bucket
Large Spouted Measuring Glass, or Jar 
5 - 6 Empty Plastic Jugs With Caps for Storage


These are the three ingredients I start with.  As you may note, the Arm & Hammer product pictured here is NOT pure Powdered Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda.  I couldn't find it at the store and made a substitute just this once... It seemed to work just fine.  I called Arm & Hammer customer service and they assured me that their 55-ounce Super Washing Soda (tall yellow/orange box) is available locally if I keep looking for it.







Heat up 2 - 4 quarts of tap water to boiling in kettle on stove
top.


Have a (clean empty) 5-gallon frosting bucket (from a bakery!) or pail handy.  Fill half-full of warm tap water.






Shredding the Fels Naptha soap onto a plate, platter or tray is the hardest part, but it's good exercise.  (OH, did I say "exercise?" Can't hurt, might help- just keep your knuckles away from the grater!) Looks like extra sharp cheddar cheese.  Isn't.  Trust me on this.


Pour grated Fels Naptha soap into boiling water, reduce heat or turn heat off.  Stir frequently with stainless steel spoon until soap melts.

Meanwhile, measure out 2 Cups Powdered Washing Soda and 2 Cups Powdered Laundry detergent onto platter or tray.


Grated Fels Naptha Soap is melted and all stirred in.  It looks like thick cream of chicken soup.  Isn't. Trust me on this.

Using the long-handled metal spoon, stir the melted Fels Naptha Soap mixture into the warm tap water in the bucket, adding more water if you like but not too full.  I like to get the most volume for my efforts.  You still have to stir it from time to time as this recipe does congeal a bit like curdled custard.  (Why does every description turn into a food comparison?  Maybe because SOAP and SOUP are so close.  Hmmmmm)


I let this sit for an hour or two.  When the bucket's contents are cool enough to work with, use a large spouted measuring glass or a jar to transfer the liquid soap into empty laundry detergent jugs. (I've found that plastic milk jugs don't hold up long-term.) You only need 1/4 - 1/2 cup of this mix for normal loads.   Do shake the jug well before pouring your home-made laundry detergent into the washing machine while the water is running, okay?

WARNING:  (I know you won't have this problem, but just in case)  Once or twice I accidentally spilled a little of the finished laundry detergent mixture on some linoleum floor tiles.  It cleaned those areas so well, I had to clean the rest of the floor to match.  (Or at least I should have,...)

No comments: