Wednesday, August 19, 2015

When Life Hands You Scraps - Make Scrap Art!

During my quilt-making phase, I attended many shows to gather inspiration (and stood in awe of others' incredible talent).  I took lots of pictures wherever it was allowed, then spent hours trimming and arranging them in chunky photo albums.

In one such trimming session I was removing edges that showed parts of the large college gymnasium where that particular quilt show was being held. About to discard the scraps. I noticed some patterns that had previously escaped my attention.  I began arranging and gluing the strips onto long rectangles of photo matte board.

In this one, someone's legs are facing right in the first strip, but near the other end someone else is walking facing left.  The brown and white patterns resemble windows and/or doors.

I was intrigued to realize that, in the same location and within the space of several hours, the background lighting appeared different colors.  When I put these strips together, sections of pipes from the facility ceiling appear to form cages, as perhaps in an animal shelter.  Odd!


There was something fun in the interplay of yellow, white and black in this arrangement.  Looking closely you might see a clock and bits of other images.


The flow of pastels here, set off by black strips, reminded me of ocean currents, except for the high window.


The viewer may decide if this gray-and-white line-up is of any interest.

So you see, even scraps may provide an artistic opportunity!

No comments: