Monday, February 1, 2016

Magazine Image Transfer - Part 1

For the past two days I have been soaking up mixed media ideas, getting glued to the You Tube to the point of feeling light-headed.  There are so many ideas which I want to try.  Today's experiment was inspired by Journal Arista's "Mixed Media Stencil Packing Tape Transfer," which I highly recommend viewing for oneself.

The presenter did mention not to use stencils with small parts, and yes, it was difficult removing the packing tape from most of the stencils I used.  After soaking in warm water, the paper backings sometimes came off almost intact, but usually I had to scrub the paper off to get see-through transfers.  These "skins" can be used over inked or painted backgrounds on journal pages or other collage pieces.

(I realized I should have photographed the magazine pictures before I started, but- oh well, too late.)

Here are a few of the stencils and end results:
Tape over stencil over picture

Peeling tape and picture off of stencil after soaking
in warm water

Overlapping rows of packaging tape
peeled off of stencil

The original picture fell off in the water- yay!

Stencil taped to picture

Tape peeled off of stencil after soaking

The picture survived, minus holes of course!

This was a fun experiment.  Would I try it again?  Maybe...   Now- to use the results on a project!!!

No comments: