Friday, February 19, 2016

Small Book From Business Envelopes

After watching a few YouTube presentations on turning envelopes into booklets, I started gathering long business reply envelopes.  Here are the steps I used to make this easy project:

I selected envelopes of similar length, although they can be trimmed- OR, mixed sizes can be used for uneven page edges.  It's good to seal the flaps shut.  If after any necessary trimming you have open tops or ends, you can either stitch, glue, tape or otherwise seal them, OR, tuck things into them as pockets.
 I folded each envelope about 2+1/4" in from one end.
Using white craft glue I attached the short portion of one envelope to the longer portion of another folded envelope.

 Next, I attached the units together to make one booklet.

And weighted it down to dry.  Acrylic paints covered any writing on the envelopes.  (A first layer of Gesso would cover any type.)  You can paint first and then glue, or glue first and then paint.  I painted the envelopes for the booklet (below) before I folded and glued.
This dotted pocket was made of scrap book paper, with the ends flapped out and glued to Page 1 and Page 2.
 These two flat bag-pockets I glued in as I was combining the envelope sections.
I used scrap book papers to cover the unpainted sides of the envelopes.  Collage would be nice.
Some pages, I over-stamped with images.
This books' dimensions are about 4+1/4" x 6" x 1/4" thick.  You can use more envelopes to make a thicker booklet, or use larger envelopes to end up with a bigger finished size.  I'm even thinking about trying this with large brown flat Kraft mailers, folded in half, or cut in half and folded again.

Gluing hand-made papers over two 4" x 6" cardboard pieces (wrapping the paper around to at least cover the inside edges) I glued the front cover to the first page and the back cover to the last page. I added a strip of paper over the folded page edges (spine), clamping/weighting it down and letting it dry. Tucked in some fancy fibers for bookmarks. Rubberstamped a large fern on the front cover with Versamark ink and sprinkled with gold embossing powder, melting the emboss with a heating gun.
Except for adding more collage or rubber stamped images, ascemic writing or a personal message, and tucking tags, stickers, teabags, Washi tape samples, photo's, etc. into the pockets, this book is finished.

IDEA:  fold-out add-on's would add interest, yes?  And for the very clever, pop-up's?  Or slide-out's?

No comments: