Monday, October 26, 2009

zoom zoom


My b-i-l decided that some of the women in this household should learn to ride the scooter today, so we focused on the sequence: brake on, key on, push start button, lift off kickstand, throttle, brake... Yikes! I actually went zipping up this little dead-end road on that bright red two-wheeler and turned around without tipping over.
Deja vu : twenty-five-and-a-half years ago I found myself on a scooter in Bermuda, only the outcome was not so pretty. As I remember it, I was given no orientation. Following the hot shot ahead of me, I rounded a curve too fast and in a flash of uncoordination-probably grabbed the throttle instead of the brakes; smashed into some coral cliffs, and received not only serious scrapes on my knees but also grill marks from the exhaust burned into my legs.
Well, maybe I can try again only safer this time, in order to have transportation in case of emergency or necessity. To take inspiration from a post carder acquaintance in Minnesota, I should wear a long bright-colored feather boa while riding. Or something. "Hey world, look at me!" Sound effects: very large mosquito. Scooter 101 for Beginners: A-O-K!

No comments: