Monday, July 15, 2019

Give me a "Line"


Did you ever take one word and repeat it over and over until it sounds silly and means nothing?  Have you ever taken one word and thought of all the phrases and sayings that have that one word in them?  I've noticed that when I concentrate on just one word, repeating it over and over again, it begins to sound really funny!


my thick little book
About a decade ago I wrote down every saying and phrase that I could think of containing the word "Line."  Then I put together what I called A Small Book of Line.  I didn't "cheat" and look in the dictionary, and see how many I came up with!

age line, assembly line,  ancestral line, ad line

brake line, belt line, battle line, bottom line, boundary line, beeline, bloodline, bread line, byline, bus line, boat line

credit line, chorus line, cutting line, county line, chalk line, center line, check-out line, clothes line, clothing line, county line 

double line, dotted line

electric line, eyeliner

forest line, front line, fine line, flat line, fault line, fish line, frown line, fuel line, fold line, finish line, freight line, feed-me-a-line, 

gas line, goal line, guideline, grain line, grocery line, giving-me-a-line

hemline, hot line, hairline, horizon line

incline, in-line, ink line (incline?)

laugh lines, line guide, line in the sand, line drawing, latitudinal line, longitudinal line
line of defense, -reasoning, -questioning, -advertising, -demarcation, -argument, -sight
line of work, -thought, -type, -traffic, -fire, -focus, -advertising, -demarcation
lineback

mainline, melody line

neckline

outline, one-liner, out-of-line

pipeline, pencil line, power line, police line, product line, production line, pen line, property line

rail line, roof line

starting line, state line, solid line, stage coach line, shore line, streamline, story line, smile line, skyline, supply line, sewer line, serving line 

tan line, tow line, tow the line, teller line, ticket line, trap line, time line, tree line, town line, towing the line

underline

waiting line, waistline, water line, woods line, worry lines

etc.






No comments: