Saturday, December 8, 2018

Washi Woes


Every now and then I reach for my Washi Tape collection to add details to my paper arts.  Today I selected some silver star tape I have had for a while.  As I attempted to unwind it, it split lengthwise and I found myself having to pick at shreddies.  Soon I had little bits of tape under my fingernails.  It just would not unwind.

I had a clever idea, or so I thought:  since Washi Tape is waxy, maybe heating it up would help it release.  I zapped the roll of stubborn tape in the Microwave for one minute, and I was able to unwind a few inches before it split in two again.  Then it stuck to itself and no amount of picking at it would make it release.  

I repeated the Microwave treatment.  Apparently by that time I had cooked the tape into a permanent solid.  With reluctance I threw the mostly-full roll of pretty Washi tape in the trash.

Theory:  either there are different qualities of Washi Tape, or, it has an unknown expiration date.  Fortunately, most of my tapes still unwind with no trouble.  I hope no one else has experienced this frustrating scenario.

2 comments:

Cynthia said...

Funny story! Nice nifty shelf to hold the tape!

KR said...

Thanks! It's a curio display box.