Sunday, April 26, 2020

Masked Endeavor


No, these are NOT bikinis! 

As of last night I have officially jumped onto the 
mask-making train, although 
I have no idea how many 
I will make, or whether the design will evolve.  

Working with some gorgeous Batik cotton fabrics 
saved from my quilting stash 
of years ago makes me smile, 
as I love their intense colors 
and abstract designs.


I was recently given some face masks 
with elastic ear loops which  
I found very uncomfortable and unreliable 
(popping off in WalMart, of all places!!!).  
Maybe my ears aren't attached very well.  
Who knew???  

So, I chose to make up some
 two- (four-) tie designs.  

(My inspiration was from 
Amanda Perna's YouTube
on how to construct masks.)  

With three deep pleats, the reversible masks 
cover/fit very well from the bridge of the nose 
(even without wire inserts) 
to under the chinny-chin chin,
depending upon how much you fan out the pleats.

I also included a layer of thick interfacing, 
allowing acceptable breatheability 
always is a good thing!  
They can be hand-washed in soap and hot water.  
Maybe machine washed too?
I'll have to try it.


I am very glad that I had my trusty old 
Singer Stich n' Sew 
tuned up about six months ago.  
Perfect timing!!!

No comments: