Sunday, September 11, 2016

Remembering One September, Mourning...

I remember exactly where I was fifteen years ago this morning:  sitting on a couch watching the live-stream TV news as horrific details unfolded.  Someone from an area military base had phoned me and insisted, "Turn on the TV!"   The images were surreal, beyond belief.

As denial faded and the numbness began to wear off, I went over to my electronic piano.  This song came to me:

The heart of the Father
grieves today.
So many of His children
were blown away.
So much death,
needless pain and fear.
But we are not alone,
He is here....

Knowing without a shadow of a doubt that God saw the suffering and the loss, and that it touched His heart, made it possible not to give up all hope.

Some quilters in a local group I belonged to at the time were working on pieces for a Men's Choice Challenge, where a husband or male friend was supposed to pick out the fabric for the quilter's project.  My "buyer" selected red, white, blue, black.

The design was inspired by an iconic photograph of the first tower being hit and the second plane approaching.  I attached a silver airplane charm that opened up, and a charm of the Iwo Jima flag raising, an image which was duplicated so many years later by firefighters on the scene that fateful day.

(Left click on each image to enlarge)







The irony did not escape me, that it was "men's choice" to carry out this destructive act which challenged our national and personal safety, our freedom, our illusions of invincibility.

On the back of my wall hanging is a copy of two poems a nearby friend wrote expressing her feelings about what happened on September 01, 2001.





 My thoughts go out to the families who lost loved ones on that infamous day.  May we never forget.

No comments: